Sunday, November 11, 2012

One week to go

I haven't written in a while because weird things were happening and I thought it would just stress me out to also put it in writing.
Two weeks ago, I was approached by an Indian start-up company with a really exciting job opportunity. Actually, it didn't look very exciting at first, but after some conversations with the CEO and others, I realized it would be a great learning opportunity for me in a very inspiring environment. I tried not to get too excited before having a confirmation about it, which worked for a while; but when finally I didn't get an offer I found myself disappointed and confused to go back to the original plan.

So here I am, back with the original plan. The flight to Yangon is booked for next Sunday; and so are the first three nights in the Beauty Land Hotel II (yes, there seem to be many businesses which are numbered this way; bizarre). I even bought a (random) Myanmar guidebook (in French) which seems ok - I was too late to order something in English so this one will just have to do.
Last night was our grand farewell party, and if the after-party mess is any indication, I can say it was a big success.
This level of drinking-fun-mess was spread equally around the house.
This week will be the big packing and moving week. We found a huge storage space not too far from here (about a one-hour drive) and later this week will rent a truck and borrow some of our stronger friends and try and take it all over in one go.

On a completely different topic, a final farewell from A's parents brought some more thoughts about our financial future and standards of living. We somehow found ourselves talking about pension savings, which I feel is a very privileged topic to be discussing - normally financial-planning-and-worrying in my circles revolve rather around getting through the next 2 months than enjoying life 40 years from now. It made me think about the shocking difference in various economies - even developed ones, and while looking around the internet I found a small optimistic data point  which I found interesting enough to share:
Among Germany's poorest 40% of the population, 4 out of 5 people are satisfied with their standard of living (source).
And that's it for now.


No comments:

Post a Comment