Wednesday, December 5, 2012

Why this morning was a great morning

1. I had cheese on my toast for breakfast. But (more) seriously -
2. We went to see an apartment where we'd rent a room for 2 weeks, once we come back from our Bangkok visa run. The place looked great - big room with a balcony (!), equipped kitchen, washing machine, and a lovely german room-mate. Sealed the deal and looking forward to some normality.
3. I attended a P&G event. That might need explaining: P&G has recently contributed water purification sachets to Myanmar disaster readiness via World Vision, and I was lucky enough to be in the right place at the right time to be invited by the kind country director of World Vision Myanmar. The P&G-ness of it all made it feel like home; the demonstration of the sachet cleaning filthy lake water was really something, and I met a lot of really nice people who just wanted to be friendly and help me. I got a bunch of business cards from P&Gers and others.
4. I got a goodie bag with P&G products.
5. I talked with that same country director, who about 2 weeks ago planted a seed of a social enterprise idea in my head (a project he led several years ago in another country). I've been thinking about it ever since and wanted to ask for his opinion of me reapplying it in Myanmar. He was encouraging and enthusiastic.. and so am I.
6. As I walked out of the hotel, on this sunny (and somehow not humid) day, with beautiful grasssy lawns and silence around me, I had that feeling which I thought is only achievable in Geneva, that of, "oh how perfectly delightful life is!".
7. After a pleasant taxi-ride home, I got myself a delicious plate of Rice-Sleh from the nice lady downstairs. It's the second delicacy she served me this week, and I feel it's bringing us closer. Today she asked which country I'm from and showed me her daughter. I felt a bit bad paying so little for her yummy food, but I promised to be back.

So much work to be done!

1 comment: