Friday, March 15, 2013

Quick update on an inspiring development

The most amazing thing happened this week. At least I found it amazing, so here it is.
On Monday I finally had the meeting at the Israeli embassy, which I thought would lead to an immediate start of my working there, but it turned out that due to a complex paper trail, I would only be able to start in April.

This made me quite confused: what am I supposed to do for three whole weeks now? I was really counting on starting working, and now I had about 25 really long, really empty days to fill.

The next day the insight came to me: I'll post on the Yangon expat google group that I'm looking for something to do, and see what comes up.

This was my ad:



The responses were amazing! I got about 15 of them, including:

- Building a website for a catholic HIV organization in Myanmar
- Helping with a school production of Animal Farm - the musical
- Teaching 6th grade
- T.A for kindergarten
- Reading someone's novel which he just completed and wants a second opinion on
- Helping to organize various charity events
- Helping to write articles for the local yellow pages
- Writing reports on water and microfinance

.. and the list goes on. In return, I was offered anything from "coffee, friendship and gratitude" (my favorite) to "an honorarium" (Also not too bad).

It's maybe not that surprising since I offered my time for free, but still - I was somehow inspired by the whole collaborative spirit of the thing.

I love it when weird ideas just work!

And now the coming two weeks - which I was so disappointed and confused about - have turned into a great opportunity to try something new! (Guess which option(s) I chose..)

Now off we are for a weekend at the beach! *sigh*, things are really going my way recently :)

2 comments: