Thursday, April 3, 2014

Work: training in Shan state

I’m spending a week in Shan state. I came here as part of the beekeeping project I’ve been involved in for the past few months. This time I developed a training on business skills and group formation for people who have just completed a basic beekeepers’ course and are about to form community-based beekeeping businesses. So I came to “train the trainers”, give feedback on the first training sessions and make sure they’re on the right track to deliver the content.

From Yangon, I didn’t expect to have any fun in Shan state. In Yangon it’s hot these days, the internet and aircon are moody, and it’s hard to imagine that an hour’s flight away there’s a haven of a cool, clean, quiet countryside.


The trainings take part in primary schools in small villages, some of which are not connected to the power grid. The schools all seem to have gorgeous views..

Great views from both schools

Training in Myanmar isn’t easy, because both students and trainers only know one training method: frontal teaching. The teacher talks, the students nod (and don’t take notes), and that’s it. So it’s quite challenging to try and introduce more participatory approaches, which require the class to contribute their ideas, practice new skills, and in fact verify that they are learning – not just staring!

But it definitely has its rewards. It’s easy to get these people excited  about marketing or about simple group games.. I guess it’s a big deal for students when instructors want to hear what they have to say.. they’re definitely not used to that.


I’ve already been to Pindaya before - the town where we’re staying. Last time I left thinking it’s just a crappy little town in the middle of nowhere; this time I love it. It is beautifully natural, and has the best trees I’ve ever seen. In the evenings, town people go down to the lake to bathe, do laundry and let their animals drink..


Really, the best trees. Does anyone know what these are called?
My hotel demonstrates what low standards I’ve come to have. It is the perfect place to spend a lazy afternoon: I have a beautiful private balcony; The internet is just good enough to read and write emails; The tiny TV shows American movies in the evenings. For breakfast today I managed to get a delicious Burmese fried rice with some sort of tomato curry.. yum.

On Sunday I'm heading back to Yangon for the final ten days of packing and farewelling..

No comments:

Post a Comment