Monday, September 10, 2012

Where to go?

One and a half years ago, I was an associate brand manager at Procter&Gamble's European headquarters in Geneva. I was marketing top quality hair color to Russia's value-driven ladies, and felt there might be more out there.
The IOMBA was my next step. The 1-year MBA focusing on International Organizations helped me learn a lot about the issues of poverty, of development, of International Organizations.
Now I'm ready to go to the field. Or at least.. I think I'm ready.
My internship contract at the World Economic Forum ends in 1 month, and after allowing some time for packing, farewells, and final fondues, I'm taking my best pal are heading.. well, somewhere.

So where can an ex-marketing gal and her medical-device-engineer-guy go make a small difference and a gain a big life and professional experience? we reviewed our options.

1. Burma. Apparently the hottest development spot on earth nowadays, the locals are known to be friendly, the scenery beautiful - not yet spoiled by the aid industry - and the opportunities huge. Cons: not much internet connection, dual country name confusing.
2. India, and most specifically - New Delhi. I got an offer in New Delhi, and after a few conversations with friends, we even managed to believe it could be a great experience. Cons: tough weather, extreme poverty, development is yesterday's news.
3. Africa (which is not in itself, a country). Africa seems so exotic and full of opportunities. Cons: where to go? Kenya? Ethiopia? urban or rural? and quite importantly - what about our safety?

So we started talking to everyone we know. Friends, colleagues, family. Even started a blog. Any thoughts?

No comments:

Post a Comment