Tuesday, September 11, 2012

Teach for Myanmar

We've agreed on a base option:
If indeed, as it seems now, we decide to go to Burma, but I can't find any professionally-substantial occupation, we will start as volunteer teachers (English or social sciences), and try and make conenctions and find opportunities on the ground.
Two organizations offer this volunteer experience; but only one of these, Teach for Myanmar, is actually based in Burma (the other is across the border in Thailand).
I'm excited about this plan, since it means I can have more focused efforts - on just one country, and have better clarity about the future.
The organization's website seems quite serious, and they require a form to be submitted, with information such as "why do you think you'd make a good teacher" and "what do you know about Myanmar". Annoyingly, they also require 2 references (I see where they're coming from, but when I'm applying for 10 things at once like I am now, it doesn't seem to make sense to make requests from my references for an unpaid position, before even screening my application).
This makes me happy. Burma looks like a really great place to be: safe, friendly, in the height of potential development. 

But I'm not giving up hope on a more substantial position through one of my contacts.. fingers crossed!



No comments:

Post a Comment