Tuesday, October 2, 2012

Distractions

The last few weeks have been filled with distractions.

A 10-day home visit allowed me to focus on nothing else but seeing family, and friends, while doing a tiny bit of beautiful tourism.

I returned directly to a job interview, at 7.50 am the next day.
Let me explain: this is the only job I applied to in this part of the world, that might hold me back from going on my big adventure. It's been my dream-job for years. It's hard to say whether now is the best time or the worst time to get it - but honestly I'll grab it if I have the chance.

I completely flopped the interviews. After 3 of those and a written test, we got a lightning-quick casual lunch with some of the company's employees, which I tried to enjoy despite the feeling that they shouldn't be buying me lunch after my poor performance.

The feedback that came after lunch surprised me; they invited me for the next and final round of interviews. Exciting!

The next two weeks promise to be confusing: it's somewhat challenging to be excited at the same time by a move to volunteer in Burma and a corporate job in Geneva, but somehow I think I'll manage it.

If I do get an offer, I promised my beloved we'll still go - for a break of 3 months or so. He deserves it, and maybe so do I.

And to set matters straight - either way, I still plan to change the world; only now it's clear that I don't yet have sufficient tools to change the world. These tools, as I see it, can be developed through better management practices or through field experience - so regardless which of these 2 exciting paths I take, I feel I'm on track for my long-term plan.


No comments:

Post a Comment