Wednesday, October 10, 2012

Baby Steps

Time is passing, and while normal life - working, travelling, laundry - is getting in the way of seriously sitting down and planning our departure, some slight progress can be seen in my networking efforts. I'm spreading the word that I'm going to Myanmar, trying to talk to everyone I can.. and just recently some potentially-interesting developments have arisen from a surprising direction. I'll keep you posted if it materializes into anything.

And yet in the back of my head (and in my shiny new google doc), our "to do" list is getting longer: entry visas, vaccinations, travel insurance, cancelling our local contracts (phones, insurance), and oh so much more. I'll try to remember to post that list when ever it seems complete - might be helpful for someone in the future.

I did spend yesterday evening checking out guesthouses in Yangon, after discovering last week that we will probably not be able to rent an apartment (legally; at least until we have an actual working contract). Prices have been going up steeply in the past year, so what we're planning to pay might buy us something like this:

Tripadvisor traveller photo of one of the highly recommended guesthouses in Yangon;
Somehow the smaller sized image makes it look a bit cosier.
Well, in all fairness, that was the most depressing picture I saw. The rest of that guesthouse actually looks quite nice and the included breakfast is supposed to be amazing (with freshly squeezed exotic-fruit-juice), but calling that room home for a few months, or even a year? shudder.

Yet excitement is certainly rising. I only have 2 more days at work, after which I can be completely free to look up all those things-that-require-lookup, start packing, read the recommended books (2 historical novels were recommended: my grandma gave me "The Glass Palace", a novel taking place in Mandalay in the days of British occupation, and a colleague recommended Orwell's "Burmese Days".) We'll also watch "The Lady", a recent Hollywood movie about Myanmar's NLD leader Aung San Suu Kyi.
Between these, I of course plan to enjoy a last taste of beautiful Swiss life.



1 comment:

  1. Has, the blog looks amazing until now. Can't wait to read more!
    Kisses,
    Ktana.

    ReplyDelete