Friday, October 26, 2012

Dream job / no dream job

So my consulting dream job fell through. After months of a stretched process, the answer came on Wednesday evening, but at that point it wasn't surprising enough to make it seriously disappointing. On the one hand, I sure wanted that job - fast track to knowing everything there is to know about management, while working on cool things with the smartest people and even getting a really nice paycheck. On the other hand, I'm not too disappointed that I get to go on my adventure, and that I'm not committing to this hectic 60-hour-workweek-away-from-home lifestyle. It's interesting how life develops, and at the end of the day, I feel happy with the way it's going.

The extraordinary opportunity from Haiti seems to have disappeared, since my contact person never got back to me. Actually, that job would fit in perfectly with the advice I got from my consulting interviewers: spend the next few years on learning, try and be a big fish in a small pond. I would love to be a big fish - not for the power, just for the learning opportunity - and I'd take even a tiny, muddy, puddle.

But I've come to realize there are so many exciting opportunities already in my baseline Myanmar plan, even though I keep getting distracted from it. This report from the Asian Development Bank about the transition and opportunities in Myanmar was one recent trigger to remind me how excited I am about this journey and how I'mm bubbling with ideas for what I might do there. This report was shared by an ex-colleague who's trying to get involved in the country and who I'm meeting this weekend to brainstorm ideas of what he might do and how I can help once I'm on the ground.

Yesterday I started packing - two big boxes of stuff to put in storage and two (much smaller) boxes of stuff to give away. Giving up stuff is such a challenging and cleansing task in these modern times!

No comments:

Post a Comment