Friday, October 12, 2012

Three Updates

1. Looking in two
In the past few days the obvious probelm came up, that us two world explorers are looking for similar occupations in parallel; we each have different contacts and a different story, but in the end our needs are quite similar. Not only is this probably sub-optimal for our efforts, but might well lead to us finding ourselves in very different places in Myanmar (it's a big country+ transportation is poor = not an option). Since our contacts are after all - strangers, we probably shouldn't bother them with our complex dual-case.My idea would be to minimize email contacting, and try and have meetings upon arrival, which would allow for greater flexibility. Any ideas for strategies how to address this?


2. Photography project
A kind colleague suggested during our farewell coffee that I do some photography in Myanmar. We do own a pretty good camera and I do love taking pictures; I've been trying to look up ideas for a photography project I could do during our trip. I saw several ideas online: taking a daily picture, taking a picture for each letter of the alphabet, documenting something that interests me, etc. Ideally, I'd really like my project to reflect the country's development; to demonstrate the change happening over time (and I do expect that to be quite noticeable, even in a period of less than a year). Do let me know if you have any ideas!

It's probably going to be easy to get this kind of photos.
Update Oct 19:
My newest idea for the photography project is to put together a list of top-10 photos - either famous ones or photos of things I love in my current life. Then my project would be to find parallel photographs in Myanmar.

3. Progress
Following up on the promising lead I mentioned 1-2 posts ago: it has developed to a near-offer to undertake a small amount of work on the ground, which - while not exactly the kind of work I was looking for - could be a great learning opportunity for me, as well as an opportunity to get better integrated and fain a better understanding of the Myanmar landscape. How exciting! I didn't expect anything that concrete to come up at this stage, so even though it's quite small, it really makes me happy.

1 comment:

  1. Great updates :)
    If you really want to make a photography project you will have to see what's best when you are there. I believe you will make great photos just see if you need an additional lens to do what you have in your mind.
    Kisses

    ReplyDelete